A step-by-step guide on how to use a foam roller for the first time
- Warm up. Before you start foam rolling, it is important to warm up your muscles. This will help to prevent injuries. You can do a few minutes of light cardio or dynamic stretching.
- Find a comfortable position. Lie on the foam roller so that the target muscle is in the center of the roller. You can use your hands or feet to prop yourself up if needed.
- Roll slowly and gently. Start by rolling slowly and gently over the muscle. You should feel a slight amount of pressure, but it should not be painful. If you feel pain, stop and move to a different spot.
- Hold each spot for 30-60 seconds. Once you find a spot that is tender, hold it for 30-60 seconds. You may feel some discomfort, but this is normal. The goal is to release the tension in the muscle.
- Repeat on all major muscle groups. Foam roll all of the major muscle groups in your body, including your quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes, back, and shoulders.
- Cool down. After you are finished foam rolling, it is important to cool down your muscles. You can do this by doing a few minutes of static stretching.